An F1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for those wishing to study in the U.S. You must file an F1 visa application if you plan on entering the US to attend a university or college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, language training program, or other academic institution.
There is a process to get f1 visa as follows:
- Get accepted by a school
- Pay sevis fee and receive your I-20 (Click here)
- Complete DS-160 form (Click Here)
- Complete f1 visa application form (Click Here)
- Schedule and attend f1 visa interview
- Get f1 visa approval
Set 1: Mandatory Documents Required for F1 Visa Interview
- Copy of interview appointment letter
- DS – 160 Confirmation Barcode printout
- Original, valid Axis or Citi Bank VISA fee receipt (Applicant’s Copy)
- Original I 20, approved and signed by you and the University authority
- SEVIS Fee Receipt
- Birth Certificate
Set 2: List of Academic Documents Required
- Original degree certificates (Bachelors / Masters) / Provisional Degree Certificates
- Original mark sheets (10th and 12th standard, first year bachelors to date)
- Provisional marksheet for any pending results
- Original mark sheets (diploma), original diploma transcripts (stamped and sealed), and original diploma certificate
- Original Extra- curricular / curricular activity certificates
- Original scholarship certificates / awards (if any)
- Original Certificates showing professional courses / examinations done along with marksheets
- Copies of your research work / project
- Relevant test scores, e.g. TOEFL and SAT, GRE, GMAT or LSAT in Original.
- Bonafide certificate from college (if degree is not received )
Set 3: Checklist of Financial Documents for F1 Visa Interview
- Original Affidavit of Support from Sponsor/s dated 4-5 days before visa interview date.
- Authentic and Original C.A. statement showing summary of fixed and liquid assets dated 4-5 days before visa interview date.
- Student should carry original and valuation documents for every item stated in the C.A. statement as proof.
- Original Evidence of financial resources: Proof of liquid assets sufficient to pay for the entire first year of education and living expenses as well as proof of readily available funds to cover the remaining year(s) of studies, dated 3-4 days before visa interview date.
NOTE: The amount should be as per duration of study mentioned in I-20.
- Original Bank statements of Sponsor(s) for the past six months (savings account) OR Original Passbook/s of sponsor/s (savings account) dated 4-5 days before visa interview date.
- Original Income tax papers of Sponsor(s) for the last three years from visa interview date
- Proof of income of sponsor(s) like appointment letter, payslips/salary certificates for past six months from visa interview date (All original)
- Balance sheet of business of last three years from visa interview date (Original)
- Original Proof of all liquid assets declared in C.A. Statement including fixed deposits, shares, PPF, investments and so on
- Original Proof showing amount that can be withdrawn against various liquid assets like shares, LIC Policy, Provident fund etc. (redeemable value), dated 4-5 days before visa interview date.
- Original Letters from respective authorities on their letterhead indicating that items such as mutual funds, shares, PPF, Provident fund, Fixed Deposits, etc are liquid and can be redeemed before maturity date, dated 4-5 days before visa interview date.
- Original Proof of Ownership, agreement of sale, share certificate for all fixed assets declared in C.A. statement.
- Valuation Certificate(s) from Chartered Engineer for every property declared in the C.A. statement in original
Set 4: Documents Related to Other Admits/Rejects
- All acceptance and reject letters from universities applied to in original
- All scholarship/financial aid grant documents received from universities that you have applied to in original
- Complete application packet of university to which you are going (as was submitted to university) like Application Forms, SOP, Recommendation letters, Resume, Financial documents, technical documents and other documents which you had sent to the University.
- Original Admit letter from the university to which you are going to.
- Original Financial Aid Offer Letter from the university to which you are going to.
- Receipt of any advance payment made to the university.
- Copies of any correspondence mails from any professors of the university to which you are going to
Set 5: For Applicants with Work Experience
- For employed students: Original Documents like work experience letters, Recommendations from employers, Pay-slips/salary certificates for last six months , IT Returns for last 3 years, appointment letters.
- Original documents showing body of work accomplished.
- Resume showing professional accomplishments